Sunday, January 11, 2009

DVD: Step Brothers

Basics for "Step Brothers"
Stars:
Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly
Genre: Comedy
Rating: R

Synopsis:
Brennan (Will Ferrell) and Dale (John C. Reilly) are two 40-year-old kids. They live at home with single parents -- single parents who meet, fall in love and get married. That thrusts the two man-children together. The two initially despise one another and go through a series of painful (yet hilarious) altercations. But somewhere along the way, that hate gets worked out and Brennan and Dale team up to form one wickedly stupid duo.

He Said: Loved it. Come on, the movie stars Ferrell. What did you expect? Has the man done anything in his career that wasn't comedy gold? Put him together with Reilly and they could make "Schindler's List" hilarious. (I'm gonna try a couple more: They could make the end of "Old Yeller" funny. They could make "Tropic Thunder" funny.) Yes, it's mostly crude, immature humor, such as when Brennan "deflowers"(for lack of a better term) Dale's drum set. Or when Brennan is forced to lick ... well, let's just say it's not very appetizing. It's not great comedy and it's certainly not high art, but "Step Brothers" is funny. And that was the goal, I believe.

She Said: OK, normally, I would be here ridiculing Josh for this nonsense. Ferrell has lost me on several occasions with his brand of humor and I generally don't care for his films. In fact, I absolutely loathe many of them. But for some reason -- and I know I'm going to regret this -- I found myself mildly entertained by this. I actually laughed a couple of times. I think it had more to do with Dale's father (Richard Jenkins) and Brennan's mother (Mary Steenburgen) perfectly portraying the parents of these morons. Anyway, it wasn't awful. It wasn't good, mind you. But it wasn't horrible either.

Ratings:
Josh: 3
Kim: 2

No comments: